We are facing multiple challenges to create a just, sustainable, inclusive, and thriving society. Business is uniquely placed to spearhead the changes society needs to build strong and supportive communities, and a resilient and stable environment.
The Centre for Business, Climate Change, and Sustainability is generating the research, educational, and training opportunities to advance understanding of how business can best organise themselves to meet climate change and sustainability goals.
Climate change and sustainability research and teaching has been taking place at the University of Edinburgh Business School for over a decade.
Building on this knowledge base, our Centre for Business, Climate Change, and Sustainability is an impact centre that is:
- Developing research-led solutions for business
- Stimulating and contributing to policy debate and development
- Creating and inspiring future changemakers
Our work so far
We have worked with businesses of all sizes; national governments in the US, China, the UK, and Scotland; multilateral organisations including the UN, the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the European Commission; and international non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
For example, we have:
- Worked with BHP Billiton in China to demonstrate low carbon transition solutions.
- Spearheaded smart technology development to achieve low-carbon delivery of major projects with Costain and Volvo CE.
- Developed a £1.5 million bank-wide transformation programme for NatWest/Royal Bank of Scotland alongside a specialist climate training programme for commercial real estate, retail and leisure, and manufacturing sectors.
What we want to do next
To make a greater impact, we need to do more. We have ambitions to:
- Grow our expertise, attracting researchers from all over the world to work with us.
- Provide scholarship opportunities for students, particularly in the countries most adversely affected by climate change.
- Translate our research into business impact, through a range of partnership opportunities.
How you can get involved
We are looking for partners to help us meet our ambitions. There are many ways for you to get involved, from funding scholarships to contributing to curriculum development, to commissioning our expert team for research or training.